Five Reasons to Visit Freshwater Beach, New South Wales, Australia
Updated: Mar 10
Freshwater Beach is one of the locals favorite beaches in Sydney known as "Freshie" where there is something for everyone:
1. Surf and learn to surf. Freshwater is part of the Manly-Freshwater National and World Surfing Reserve and the site of the first surfboard riding demonstration in Australia. The Southern end is best for advanced surfers but this is also a great place to learn and take a lesson.
2. Lots to do for the kids. There is a rockpool, usually sandbars and shallow for swimming, and a playground.
3. Ocean pool. A 50 meter swimming pool is at the northern end of the beach. From it you are looking out at the surf crashing on the rocks on all three sides. Walk past it for an incredible view for as far as you can see.
In photo below, top center next to fence is location of the pool and where to walk for the panoramic view.
4. You don't have to be hungry. Cafe on the beach, picnic tables, and barbecues in a nice partially shaded area.
5. Variety. Quaint shops and cafes in a village atmosphere nearby.
If you go: one note; swimming can be hazardous due to strong currents so be sure and swim between the flags marked for safety.